If you are unable to find the answer to your question here please call us at: (323) 964-6331
1. Are you open on holidays?
Most holidays, except for Thanksgiving day, Christmas day and New Year’s day.
2. When is the Museum open to the public?
Tuesday through Sunday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm and Holiday Mondays.
3. Where is the Museum located?
6060 Wilshire Blvd. at Fairfax in Los Angeles, California 90036. The entrance to the parking lot is located on Fairfax, south of Wilshire Blvd.
4. What is the cost of parking in the Museum parking structure?
Free for the first 30 minutes and $2.00 each additional 30 minutes. $12.00 maximum. One hour validation with purchase of $20 or more in the Museum Store or Johnny Rockets located in the museum lobby.
5. Is there a place to eat at the Museum?
Come in for a great meal at Johnny Rockets! It is located adjacent to the lobby and is accessible through the lobby and also via the patio entrance on Fairfax Avenue. Hours are Monday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Tuesday-Sunday 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
6. Is there a retail shop in the Museum?
Yes, it is located on the 1st floor as you enter the Museum. Some merchandise is also available online at the Museum’s e-Store.
7. Are there any cars in which you can sit?
The May Family Discovery Center on the 3rd floor contains three vehicles in and on which visitors can sit: a Ford Model T, a Kawasaki police motorcycle, and a Lola Indy racecar.
8. Is the Museum wheelchair accessible?
Yes, there is a ramp to enter the museum and elevators inside the Museum for your comfort and convenience.
9. Are wheelchairs available?
Yes, we have wheelchairs at the Museum. All you need to do is leave your I.D. with us and you may use the wheelchair for the duration of your visit.
10. Are there baby changing stations?
Yes, there are baby changing stations in the restrooms located on the 1st and 3rd floors.
11. Is photography permitted in the Museum?
Yes, video and still photography is permitted in the Museum, but monopods and tripods are not allowed for the safety of our other patrons. Cameras are not allowed during the vault tours.
12. Why isn’t my favorite car on display?
There are many automotive stories to tell, and we change exhibits and vehicles on display regularly. Search for a vehicle in our database (if you don't find the vehicle you are looking for, check back soon, as this is a growing project). Each vehicle in our database will say if it is currently on display.
13. How often do exhibits change?
Major exhibits change approximately every three to seven months, but individual vehicles and smaller exhibits change frequently.
14. Are your vehicles for sale?
15. Do you own all of the cars on display?
Some vehicles are here on temporary loan. Vehicles on display in the museum list this info on their label text.
16. Can I hold an event at the Petersen?
Call our Special Events Department at (323) 964-6348, or click here to get more info on holding your private event.
17. How do I donate a vehicle, money, or automotive ephemera?
We appreciate all donations. Go to our donation page for details.
18. Can I store my vehicle at the museum?
Vehicle storage is available for a fee. Call (323) 964-6326 for more info.
19. Can I volunteer at the museum?
Click here to find out how to become a docent or call (323) 964-6358.
20. Are you affiliated or owned by Petersen Publishing?
21. Does Mr. and Mrs. Petersen own the museum and all of the cars?
No, however a number of vehicles in our collection were donated by the Petersen family.
22. Who is Robert E. Petersen?
Robert E. (Pete) Petersen was the Founder of Petersen Publishing, starting with Hot Rod Magazine in January of 1948. His publishing empire quickly grew to include Rod & Custom and Motor Trend, along with numerous non-automotive publications like Teen, Guns and Ammo, Modern Bride and others. He and his wife, Margie were very active philanthropists and supported their namesake museum as well as many health and education related charities.