November 18, 2013
Over the years, Jaguar has produced more exciting front-engine sports cars than almost any other manufacturer. The unmistakable proportions combined with high performance engineering create an inspiring sports car with a uniquely British feel. The latest Petersen Automotive Museum exhibition, running Dec. 7, 2013 – Feb. 16, 2014, pays tribute to this legacy by showcasing five of Jaguar’s most iconic vehicles including a 1937 SS100 formerly owned by entertainer Mel Torme, a 1949 XK120 used in the movie Gangster Squad, a 1956 XKSS formerly owned by Steve McQueen, a 1965 E-Type used in the television show Mad Men and a 2014 F-TYPE V8 S.
Those wanting a sneak preview of the exhibit can visit the Petersen Automotive Museum’s booth at the Los Angeles Auto Show Nov. 22-Dec. 1 to see Steve McQueen’s ’56 XKSS and the 2014 F-TYPE V8 S.
- The 1937 Jaguar SS100, owned by entertainer Mel Torme, was given its name for its high top speed of 100 miles per hour. Often considered one of the most aesthetically beautiful Jaguar cars, it also is one of the rarest with less than 350 in production.
- The 1949 Jaguar XK120 was given its name for its high top speed of 120 miles per hour—the fastest regular production car at the time. This specific vehicle was driven by character Grace Faraday, played by Emma Stone in the 2013 movie, Gangster Squad.
- The 1956 Jaguar XKSS derived from the LeMans-winning Jaguar D-Type racing car is one of the rarest road-going production Jaguar cars ever made with only 16 produced. This particular roadster was owned by actor Steve McQueen.
- The 1965 Jaguar E-Type, also known as the “XK-E” is widely considered one of the most beautiful cars ever built by enthusiasts and designers alike, and in 1966 was only the second car to be added to the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York. This specific E-Type was driven by the lead character Don Draper, played by Jon Hamm, in the television series Mad Men.
- The 2014 F-TYPE V8 S is the all new roadster from Jaguar featuring the sensuous, yet aggressive proportions that have always defined the brand. Designed to embody the brand’s latest engineering, performance and luxury features, the vehicle constantly rewards the driver.