1914 Galt

Second Floor - Industry

The Canadian Galt’s gasoline engine ran a generator that supplied electricity to an electric motor that propelled the car. Extra power produced by the generator was stored in batteries found beneath the floor. The batteries could be used to provide extra power at peak times or to operate the car with the gas engine turned off. This car is one of only two ever built and appeared 13 years after Ferdinand Porsche developed the world’s first gas-electric hybrid, the Semper Vivus.

Collection of the Canadian Automotive Museum, Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Image by: Jacob Nuibe Photography