1938 Maytag Toy Racer
Second Floor - Industry
In the 1930s, teenagers began building miniature race cars powered by discarded Maytag washing machine engines. Maytag dealers found this to be a convenient method of both disposing of surplus inventory and advertising their products and became sponsors of many local parades and races. In 1934 Maytag began the manufacture of racers using its more powerful two-cylinder MultiMotor, hundreds of which were sold to dealers for promotional purposes. Maytag stopped producing the racers in 1941 to prepare for wartime production.
Courtesy of Jerry and Brenda Perkins