1949 Porsche 356-2 "Gmund" Coupe
The Vault presented by Hagerty®
By 1944 Porsche design facilities had moved to Gmünd, Austria. There, with a renewed interest in creating a sports car from Volkswagen components, Ferry Porsche, engineer Karl Rabe, and body designer Erwin Komenda conceived the Type 356. The prototype 356-1 roadster had styling traits drawn from the pre-war Type 64 racer and many of these were carried into the production 356-2 coupes and cabriolets that followed. This example was the 50th “Gmünd” car and possibly the last built in Austria.
Collection of Terri and Jeff Zwart