1957 Bangert Roadster "Teverbaugh & Kirkland Bonneville Special"
Third Floor - History
Built by John Teverbaugh and Robert Kirkland, this special ran in the “D” Modified class on the Bonneville Salt Flats between 1957 and 1959. Its fiberglass body, by Bangert Enterprises of Hollywood, was mounted on an innovative chrome-moly tube frame. It was the first Bonneville car equipped with a parachute to supplement the disc brakes, which were sourced from an airplane. The car was restored and updated by So-Cal Speed Shop, with Dr. Teverbaugh’s guidance, to become a vintage race car with modern performance and reliability.
COLLECTION OF THE PETERSEN AUTOMOTIVE MUSEUM
BEQUEST OF STEVEN R. PREWITT