employment at the Petersen
Welcome to the employment page of the Petersen Automotive Museum. To see a brief description of the position that interests you, select the position title. Human Resources will review each applicant’s qualifications for compatibility with available openings. Should a potential fit exist, Human Resources will contact the applicant directly.
An Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of the Petersen Automotive Museum to provide all persons with equal employment practices and opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Please include a copy of the Employment Application Form in your email when applying to open position.
Under the direction of the Deputy Director, the Marketing Manager will work in close collaboration with the external PR Team and Partnerships Manager to provide creativity, insight, and project management, supporting numerous programs and initiatives building the museum’s overall offering. The Marketing Manager will take a lead role in developing strategic integrated marketing programs that leverage traditional and digital media to support events and tourism development, as well as select exhibitions, programs, and initiatives at the Petersen. She/he will be responsible for all aspects of marketing ideation and project management, setting project management schedules, including media planning and placement, design and production of materials, deliverables, reviews for multiple parties, internal and external to the Petersen, and ensuring that campaigns remain on track to meet strategic objectives. Inter- and cross-departmental collaboration, and external relationship management with media partners, and sponsors is integral to the Marketing Manager’s role. Two staff members work underneath the Manager providing support in these areas of responsibility.
This individual must be a compelling written and oral communicator, generator of creative, doable ideas, and project manager. This person needs to present work to senior executives while collaboration with and motivating appropriate teams. Effective communication and implementation within and outside of the organization is a must. Ability to think three moves ahead is critical to success in this position. While not mandatory, our ideal candidate has some experience in working with automotive content, has some understanding of automotive industry from collectors to new autos. We are seeking an ambitious self-starter who is will to contribute efforts above and beyond in order to succeed. Evening and weekend work events are part of the job.
- Lead marketing project management for museum exhibitions and programs
- Develop strategic multi-channel marketing plan and budget, recommending media plan and placement as opportunities arise. Revise budget quarterly per Deputy Director and CFO direction
- Draft copy and sponsor decks for marketing events
- Manage all details involved with design, partners, media formats (traditional and digital), deliveries, and analytics for campaigns year-round. This includes museum website and mobile app oversight, updates, and improvements
- Monitor content on all applicable sites and apps to ensure it remains accurate, current, compliant, and reflective of the Petersen brand. Work with staff to edit and delete content as needed
- Refine content in email marketing, monthly calendar, website, and Petersen publications such that it is suitable for the Petersen audience. Must be able to understand and articulate “The Petersen Voice”
- Develop strong internal relationships and liaise with Curatorial, Visitor Services, Membership, Education, Special Events, and Development staff to provide marketing expertise as required
- Effectively manage museum’s external agency with respect to social media, including occasional writing and posting of social media content.
- Edit communications to ensure that the Petersen message is presented clearly and effectively
- Weigh in on developing a programmatic calendar that reflects the content roadmap of the Petersen’s monthly offerings, and work with staff to assist in events likely including, and internal said events, which are held on weekends or evenings
- Manage Marketing Associate and Marketing Coordinator
- BA or BS degree
- Minimum 3-5 years progressively responsible sales and marketing or advertising experience
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing integrated multi-channel marketing plans
- Strong verbal and written communications and project management skills
- Knowledge of web, website production, digital marketing, including social media and Google AdWords, social analytics tools is a plus
- Genuine interest in automotive is a significant pus
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills
- Adobe CS5, HTML, Google Docs, Raiser’s Edge, or database/sales force software experience
- Demonstrated understanding of how to accomplish marketing goals, with a limited marketing budget
- Attention to detail, attention to detail, attention to detail
YOU MUST INCLUDE A COVER LETTER TO ACCOMPANY YOUR RESUME SUBMISSION. WITHOUT A WELL-WRITTEN LETTER SPECIFIC TO THE PETERSEN POSITION, YOUR REQUEST FOR CONSIDERATION WILL NOT BE ACKNOWLEDGED.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, and insert Marketing Manager in the subject line.
Working as a key member of the Development team, under the director of the Development Director, the Membership Manager will be responsible for engagement and growth of the membership of the Petersen. The Membership Manager will be responsible for all communication with the Petersen's members, including individual and dual memberships, family memberships, and highest level of membership, our Checkered Flag 200. This role will work internally across various departments to ensure that the needs of the membership are being met from a programmatic and events perspective. S/he will also work closely with the marketing and guest services department to raise awareness and ensure that the general public and museum visitors are informed of the benefits of membership at the Museum. The Membership Manager will also routinely execute landscape analyses of Los Angeles institutions to make sure that our membership levels and benefits reflect the best practices in the community. The Membership Manager will also oversee the work of the Membership Coordinator.
Key Goals and Responsibilities:
- Cultivate and grow membership revenue by 8% year over year.
- Create innovative solutions to recruit and retain members through identification of target markets, implementation and organization of annual campaigns, and development of value-added affinity programs.
- Provide incredible customer service and serve as the primary point of contact for the museum’s highest level of membership, the Checkered Flag 200. Act as the primary contact for all needs, which will include ticket purchases, renewal processing, and grievance resolution.
- Work with the Development Director to promote and solicit contributions from our members in addition to their regular renewal schedule.
- Conceptualize, create, and execute membership events and activities. Responsibilities will include budgeting for events, supervising Petersen staff and volunteers, arranging catering/rentals, communicating with attendees, etc.
- Provide weekly reports to the Finance Department for paid dues, current members, and expiring members.
- Oversee the maintenance of membership records and the membership database, including scheduling, contracts, invoices, staffing, and fulfillment for all campaigns.
- Maintain a calendar of membership activities and campaigns, including renewal schedules, prospecting schedules, and acquisition events.
- Collaborate with the PR company to oversee the creation and distribution of the museum's quarterly magazine, Finish Line. This position will require securing ad revenue and contract renewal for existing advertisers, communicating with the Curatorial department to source articles, creating mailing lists, and writing articles, as needed.
- Collaborate internally with the Education and Marketing Departments to create added benefits and programming for members, advertise member benefits and specials to the general public, and emphasize how memberships philanthropically support the mission of the museum.
- Write, create, and schedule bi-weekly Member Newsletters that cover upcoming events, promotions, member benefits, and noteworthy items or blog posts that emphasize a mission-driven message and the importance of membership to the operation of the museum.
- Work closely with the Checkered Flag Events Committee and the Chairman to nurture relationships with the most involved members and create one-of-a-kind experiences.
- Continue to grow the Lifetime Membership program and work with the Development Manager to steward these members for further donation or planned giving opportunities.
- Support other projects as needed.
- Work with the Development Director and Finance Department to create annual budgets and long-term strategic plans that will allow the museum to better serve existing members and acquire new households.
- Provide ongoing performance feedback to the Membership Coordinator and foster open dialogue to further their professional growth.
- Administer mid-year review of performance goals and annual performance review of junior membership staff.
- Work with the Visitors Services Manager to provide semi-annual training for all Visitors Services staff about how to discuss and upsell membership at the admissions desk.
- Provide monthly feedback to the Visitors Services staff about on-site conversion percentages and provide updates of events, promotions, specials, or other tools they can use when discussing membership.
- 3-5 years of experience in a hospitality, customer relations, or museum membership field
- BA in Museum Studies, Communications, Business or related field preferred
- Ability to work nights/weekends as required (at least twice per month)
- Experience with Microsoft Office is required
- Professionalism yet approachability in all phone, email, and in-person communication is required
- Experience working in VIP relations or concierge services is strongly preferred
- Knowledge of Salesforce or another CRM system is strongly preferred
- Experience working in events operations or events management is strongly preferred
- Knowledge of Point of Sales systems is preferred
- Interest in the automotive world is a plus, but not required
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include Membership Manager in the subject line.
Reports To: Education and Programing Director
We are seeking Museum Educators to oversee the daily activity in the Discovery Center gallery by providing responsible, friendly, and enthusiastic assistance to museum visitors, and to lead gallery tours for school groups. S/he will interact with visitors on the floor, facilitate hands-on gallery stations, and foster a welcoming environment for volunteers and the public. S/he will provide customer service support, be knowledgeable about museum content, and will maintain daily gallery operations and appearance.
- Assisting visitors with Discovery Center interactive iPad experiences
- Managing the check-out and return of iPads
- Facilitating interactive demonstrations at gallery stations
- Implementing inquiry-based learning and interactive educational techniques
- Providing direction and guidance to visitors concerning other galleries
- Working with and mentoring Discovery Center volunteers
- Ensuring that objects and resources are handled carefully and safely
- Maintaining gallery cleaning procedures and ensuring that supplies are replenished
- Performing crowd control during peak times
- Participating in staffing Family Days and other special youth programs as required
- Leading school tours of museum galleries
- Leading public and private tours of museum galleries for guests of all ages
- Assisting Education Department with administrative tasks as needed
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, and insert Educator in the subject line.
Reports to: Director of Education
Tour Guides at the Petersen must learn and retain knowledge of the cars and other relevant artifacts that make up the collection and articulate the most interesting stories about those cars to the public. Tours may cover the whole museum or select portions of the museum, including the Vault. Tour groups can range from families with children up to senior groups, and can include people from different countries, different learning levels and different abilities. In addition to sharing educational content, it is important that tour guides manage, control, and entertain their tour groups. Training to be a tour guide includes studying training materials, shadowing veteran guides and observing their presentation styles, buddying up with veteran guides to give collaborative tours, and giving several practice tours to staff. Upon successful completion of the training period, a new guide can then begin lead public tours.
- Leading tours of the museum, or portions of it, that last anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours (standard tour lengths are one hour for museum tours and 90 minutes for Vault tours).
- Engaging and entertaining guests on tours. Tours may include up to 50 guests.
- Researching cars and artifacts and maintaining knowledge of the collection.
- Preparing a tour strategy that covers a broad portion of the tour’s target while fitting within time constraints.
- Working with other guides in research and preparation.
- Adjusting and modifying tour content as requested by their supervisor and/or the museum administration. This includes learning information about cars that may only temporarily on display.
- Wearing the required uniform during all tours, which includes a red Petersen polo shirt, black pants and shoes, and a nametag.
- Attend all trainings and reading all training materials.
- Arriving in advance of tours in order to walk through the museum and/or in advance of their first tour, making themselves aware of any changes.
- Committing to a regular schedule while also being able to pick up additional shifts.
- Cooperating with security and museum staff in managing groups to ensure guest safety and preservation of the collection.
- Adhering to the policies and codes of conduct laid out in the Petersen Museum’s Employee Handbook.
To apply, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include Tour Guide in the subject line.