*Event included with general admission ticket.
On June 2nd, the amazing full scale model of the McLaren 720S supercar - made almost entirely of LEGO® bricks - will be introduced to the North American market. Visitors to this interactive event are invited to place orange LEGO® bricks on designated parts of the McLaren, helping to reach it's completion. The build day will also feature presentations and discussions with LEGO® Master Builder Chris Steininger and McLaren Head of Design Operations Mark Roberts.
In addition to the June 2nd build day experience, the LEGO® McLaren 720S will be on display through August 19th on the second floor of the museum. LEGO® and McLaren fans will be able to customize their own mini LEGO® Speed Champions McLaren on an interactive iPad app next to the car. The customization app will offer the choice to add racing stripes, flames, checkered flags, license plates, backgrounds, and also add their name with an option to print a custom sticker of the car they have designed. The Discovery Center located near the full scale car will host daily access to race ramps and build tables for museum attendees who want to build their own LEGO® Speed Champions race cars. LEGO® Speed Champions toy sets will be available for purchase in the Petersen Store.
- 10:00AM: Museum opens.
- 11:30AM: Panel discussion with Mark Roberts & Chris Steininger.
- 12:30PM: First brick opening ceremony and 720S build begins.
- 1:00PM: Interactive opens with race ramps & build tables.
LEGO® McLaren 720S fun facts:
- 287,262 LEGO® bricks were used to build the car.
- Built on a solid steel frame holding the wheels in place.
- Equipped with Pirelli P Zero Color Edition tires.
- A LEGO® certified team of 10 worked 20,000+ hours to complete in 9 weeks, leading up to it’s UK debut at Goodwood Festival of Speed in June 2017.
- Build team ratio: 60% female/40% male.
- Number of people that worked on the build at one time: 6.
- The debut of this model coincided with the launch of the LEGO® Speed Champions McLaren 720S set, which launched on June 1, 2017.
- Vehicle weight: 3,500 pounds (weighs more than an actual McLaren 720S!)
- Approximatley 12,000 removable orange LEGO® bricks are attached to the interactive panels.
- The physical car debuted at the International Geneva Motor Show in March 2017.
- The McLaren 720S exists within the McLaren Super Series product portfolio and was the first time McLaren directly replaced a model (the McLaren 650S Coupe).