1937 Jaguar SS100
The firm that produced the earliest Jaguar was originally named “S.S.” to denote its ties to both the Standard Motor Company and the Swallow Coachbuilding Company. The name “Jaguar” was first used in 1935 and the number “100” was added to the model designation when road tests showed that the car could achieve the then-high speed of 100 miles per hour. A specially prepared SS-100 achieved a remarkable 111.85 miles per hour in 1937, the same year that the now famous “leaper” radiator mascot was introduced.
Collection of The Margie and Robert E. Petersen Collection
Image by: Jacob Nuibe Photography